Disputes between employers and employees are common, but they can lead to serious problems. In some cases, these issues even require mediation and/or litigation before they can be resolved. If you are dealing with an issue related to employment law, you need an experienced Charleston Employment Law Attorney on your side to protect your rights.
About Employment Law Cases
Some of the most common types of employment law cases in Charleston include:
- Discrimination – Discrimination cases arise when an employer treats a current or potential employee differently because of a specific characteristic, such as age, gender, race, sex, ethnicity or disability.
- Sexual harassment – Sexual harassment cases arise when one individual behaves inappropriately toward another individual in a workplace environment. For example, the offender may make inappropriate comments of a sexual nature, either publicly or privately.
- Harassment – Harassment cases occur when one individual behaves in an upsetting or threatening way toward another individual in the workplace.
- Family Medical Leave claims – Under the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993, employers must provide employees with unpaid, job-protected leave under specific circumstances, such as after the birth or adoption of a child. When employers violate this act, FMLA claims may result.
- Wrongful termination – Wrongful termination claims arise when an employee believes he or she was terminated unfairly. For example, an employee may be able to file a wrongful termination claim if he or she is terminated for refusing to participate in illegal activities.
- Wage & Hour Claims – Issues regarding not getting paid overtime, not getting paid the proper amount hourly, or not getting paid vacation pay when terminated.
Hiring an Employment Law Attorney in Charleston
Employment law issues can be heated and complex, especially if they require formal litigation. In addition, these are often high-stakes issues that impact the life of the employee significantly. For this reason, hiring the right employment law attorney is essential. A qualified attorney like David Harley can help you understand how South Carolina employment law applies in your case. Your attorney can also help you explore your options so you can make the right decisions to protect your rights and your future.
Contact an Employment Law Attorney
If you are dealing with a legal issue related to employment, you need to seek counsel from a qualified attorney as soon as possible. Please contact Harley Law, LLC today to schedule an appointment with a Charleston attorney who understands employment law.